I am extremely tired due to lack of sleep but TIGF and the weekend, I can sleep all I want.
Truth is I am not a huge fan of lipgloss though I like to wear them from time to time but whenever I see something new hitting the shelves, I can't help but be curious to try them, which is exactly why I picked up these two new Maybelline Color Elixir lip glosses.
Maybelline claims that they are hyper-saturated and giving the color payoff a lipstick, have a smooth cushiony feel, glossy finish, moisturizing feel, and even application. Sounds fabulous right?
- The packaging is cute. Could have fooled me into thinking this is a lipstick. I like the clear packaging that shows me the exact color inside.
- The wand has a diamond shape and weidly look hairy, lol. It does what it needs to do so it's all good.
- .17 oz or 5 ml. Holy crap, the writing was tiny as hell on the packaging. I had to squint really hard to be able to read it.
- Intoxicating Spice is a lovely semi sheer brown with red undertone. Sheerer than I expected but I do love the color.
- Raspberry Rhapsody is a semi sheer cool tone pink with subtle blue shimmers. This was a quite a surprise and disappointment. I was expecting the color in the tube but instead I got something totally different.
- My biggest let down was the opacity. Based on what it claims to do, you would think of a liquid lipstick type of deal here but it's totally not so. This is beyond a shadow of a doubt a gloss and it's kind of sheer but still give you some color pay off. There is no such thing as hyper saturation here. What a joke really! This is so misleading and false advertising. That sort of thing really disappoints me. It makes you think you're getting something and big surprise, it's not even close.
- Aside from the false claim, these glosses are not bad really. They are a bit thick and have a nice squishy feel that doesn't feel sticky. I also find them to be very glossy and shiny. They are on the sheer but have a decent pigmentation to give you some color and apply fairly evenly.
- They feel hydrating and last about 3 hours.
- They have a sweet artificial scent to them. Not too bad but not loving it either. Maybelline could use some improvement on their lipstick/gloss scents. Most of them don't appeal to me.
Overall, as a gloss I really think they are good and some of the nicest I've tried but the fact that Maybelline advertise them to be hyper-saturated and pigmented like a lipstick is totally false and untrue. You are definitely not getting what you paid for if you scoop them up thinking that they will be. Had they been honest about the pigmentation I would have given them a 9.5/10. It's a big deal for me when a company slap "hyper-saturated" on a product and it's not even close.
Availability: CVS, Ulta
Thoughts? Am I overreacting or would you be upset too?